I’m getting married! What about all the legal stuff?

Im Getting Married what about the legals 1200x800 - I’m getting married! What about all the legal stuff?

Marriage might be all about love and togetherness, but there’s also the pesky legal aspect to tend to. As a Byron Bay male celebrant I’m equipped (like a ninja) to help guide you through the process so it’s simple and painless.

The Notice of Intended Marriage (or NOIM) as the title suggests gives legal notice of your intent to marry. The Australian government requires that this document must be received by your marriage celebrant one month before your ceremony. This is a legal requirement, and there’s only five expectations that might be considered:

  • employment-related or other travel commitments
  • wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations
  • medical reasons
  • legal proceedings, or
  • an error in giving notice

For most couples – especially if it’s your first time getting married – the NOIM is a simple document to complete. For my couples I request the relevant info then prepare the form on your behalf. This keeps things simple for you and is and all part of my personal service as a Byron Bay celebrant.

If this isn’t your first rodeo there some other matters to consider. Namely that you’ll need to provide your divorce papers. If you were divorced before February 2010 you should have a hard copy. After that date the document will have been provided to you electronically. Your NOIM can still be lodged with your divorce pending as long as you know the date that your divorce is expected to be finalized. If you were divorced overseas you need to ensure the divorce papers are in English or translated by an authorized interpreter.

For ID, passports are best, otherwise you’ll need to provide your birth certificate and drivers licence. If you’re local or popping into Byron, as your marriage celebrant I’d be happy to witness your documents, otherwise you can use the services of a JP, barrister or solicitor, or a member of the Australian Federal Police or police force.

If another party witnesses the NOIM it still must be returned to your marriage celebrant one month before your ceremony.

Another form you’ll need to complete is the Declaration of No Legal Impediment to certify that you’re free to marry, over 18 years old and not in a prohibited relationship, i.e. brother and sister. Fun fact – you can legally marry your cousin!

Covering the legal side of marriage is essential and so much easier when not left to the last minute. Then you’re free to focus on the fun and creative side of your ceremony!